EEOC Releases Updated “Know Your Rights” Poster
November 3, 2022
Publication| Labor & Employment
On October 19, 2022, the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) released a new “Know Your Rights” poster, which updates and replaces the previous “EEO is the Law” poster. Under federal law, all covered employers are required to prominently display the poster at their worksite in a conspicuous location where notices to applicants and employees are customarily posted. While there is no specific deadline for replacing the old poster with the updated poster, employers should do so within a reasonable amount of time.
The poster summarizes several federal laws prohibiting discrimination in employment. The new poster includes the following changes:
- Uses straightforward language and formatting, namely, bullet points;
- Notes that harassment is a prohibited form of discrimination;
- Clarifies that sex discrimination includes discrimination based on pregnancy and related conditions, sexual orientation, or gender identity;
- Adds a QR code for fast digital access to the “How to File a Charge of Employment Discrimination” EEOC webpage; and
- Provides information about equal pay discrimination for federal contractors.
The poster is currently available in English and Spanish and will be available in additional languages at a later date.
In addition to physically posting the poster at the worksite, covered employers are encouraged to post a digital notice of the poster in a conspicuous location on their website. For employers without a physical location, or for employers with employees who telework or work remotely, the digital notice may be the only accessible posting. Covered employers are subject to fines for noncompliance.
If you have any questions, please contact a Richards, Layton & Finger employment attorney.