Choice of Business Entity – 2011 Update
February 17, 2011
Event| Limited Liability Company & Partnership Advisory
There has never been a more challenging time for determining the appropriate legal form and structure for new and existing closely held businesses than right now. Recent changes in taxation, new case law, and new entity forms create opportunities as well as traps for practitioners. Nationally known experts will show attendees how the changing legal and tax issues that affect these important decisions offer both opportunities and pitfalls for their clients.
Attendees will learn:
- What are the effects of the various changes in federal tax law (including statutory changes in the health care and year-end tax legislation) on entity choice?
- What does the future hold for the taxation of compensation, and how will it drive entity choice?
- Is Delaware still the jurisdiction of choice for many entities? If so, why?
- Is 2011 the year that "series" will take off as a result of the new proposed regulations?
- What about L3Cs, for-benefit corporations, and other socially responsible businesses?
- What are the latest state and local tax developments that may impact entity choice?
- How does the return of, and changes in, the estate tax affect entity choice?
- What’s new in terms of changing orders after Olmstead?
- How are the powers and duties of officers, directors, members, and managers developing under recent case law and statutory changes?
Director Elisa Maas will speak at this ALI-ABA webcast as part of a panel of experts on choice of business entity.